This job is no longer accepting applications.
We have a term position available for an Intern Architect in our Yellowknife office.
Yellowknife is a vibrant Northern city offering a one-of-a-kind lifestyle experience. As the Aurora Capital of the World, our small community has long been an international tourist destination offering unparalleled viewing experiences of the Northern Lights. Though the city itself is a dense and distinctly urban centre, we are bordered on all sides by wide open wilderness. Many Yellowknifers spend their weekends visiting off-grid cabins – accessed by cross-country ski trails or snowmobile in the winter, kayak and canoe in the summer. Evenings are spent “aurora hunting” at bonfires, cook-outs, or ski trails over the frozen Great Slave Lake. In summer, the Midnight Sun creates surreal conditions for a nighttime paddle between the eclectic houseboats in Yellowknife Bay.
For the adventurous professional, this town is an exciting place to work and play, offering unexpected fascinations. The community is open, welcoming, young, and diverse. Our thriving arts and design scene includes an annual summer music festival (Folk on the Rocks), a month-long winter festival (Snowking), two annual film festivals and a wide array of cultural events that fill almost every weekend of the year.
TAG’s projects are located predominantly in remote communities across the three territories. Our team members are invited into unique travel opportunities across the high arctic.
By nature of TAG’s history and context, our workplace is a welcoming, social, and dynamic team environment. If you are looking for an opportunity to apply your creative assets, while living the adventure of Canada’s Far North, send your application to our Yellowknife office.
Projects include mid- to large-scale civic, educational, institutional, and residential facilities, as well as smaller-scale commercial projects. The successful candidate must have strong technical capabilities, leadership and project management skills, and be able to work well in a team environment.
Samples of our work can be found at https://www.tagyk.com/
- Assist with production of architectural construction drawings including site plans, plans, elevations, sections, and details
- Create digital models and renderings.
- Create physical models using hand tools and basic power tools.
- Undertake project research including cultural, site, and material investigations.
- Provide support to the project team lead on various activities such as coordination of sub-consultants, preparation of reports, attendance at project meetings, preparation of meeting minutes, and attendance at site reviews.
- Provide construction administration for projects under construction, including review of shop drawings, responding to contractor inquiries, and attending construction meetings. This work will be supervised by the team lead. TAG will provide in-house training for this duty, but expects a successful intern to learn on the job.
- Work will include occasional travel to remote communities in the Arctic and Sub-arctic; candidate should be comfortable with travel in small airplanes and driving on isolated roads. Adequate safety equipment for road travel will be provided.
Credentials and Skills:
- Graduate from an accredited Master of Architecture program in Canada or equivalent
- Demonstrated quality design work and ability to think outside of the box
- Skilled production of presentation & working drawings
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; fluent in English
- Strong writing skills for reports and communication with clients and contractors
- Familiarity with AutoCAD is required; the ideal candidate will have significant AutoCAD experience
- Familiarity with Revit is required; the ideal candidate will have significant Revit experience
- Familiarity using 3D modeling programs is required
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative software (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) is an asset
Length of Contract:
Candidate will begin in February 2022. This is a full time (37.5 hr/week), one-year contract position located in Yellowknife, NT.
A moving expense stipend can be provided by TAG. Temporary housing is available upon arrival in Yellowknife until the candidate secures permanent housing.
Salary and benefits:
Salary and benefits to be commensurate with experience; full benefits package available.
All candidates must provide proof of vaccination, preferably with booster shot as well (understanding that this may not be available to the general public in Southern Canada – it can be acquired in Yellowknife upon arrival).
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and portfolio to [email protected].
Please include examples of construction drawings/details, as well as schematic design/concept drawings, and indicate which programs were used to generate the drawings shown. If possible, try to show examples from both Revit and AutoCAD.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Architecture, Engineering, Interiors, Planning, Design.